New Start...

I haven't used my blog in about 2 years and, as I'm sure you can imagine, a lot has changed. In a quest to improve my mindset I'm restarting my blog as of today! My aim is to do at least 5 posts a week (even if they are short) about my inspirations, my goals, my achievements and my life.

My first post is dedicated to a book I recently finished reading, 'Reasons To Stay Alive' by Matt Haig. I'm sure many of you have heard of, if not read, this book and if you haven't, I couldn't recommend it more.



Matt Haig delves in to his personal struggle with depression and anxiety and encourages those with current mental health problems to overcome their demons.
There are so many good things about this book but Matt Haig's honesty and openness is my favourite. The stigma around mental health is very much alive and I can only hope that Haig and his honesty has lessened it.

A few of my favourite things from the book;

"Things aren't going to get worse. You want to kill yourself. That is as low as it gets. There is only upwards from here."

"I have been ill before, then well again. Wellness is possible."

"Wherever you are, at any moment, try and find something beautiful. A face, a line out of a poem, the clouds out of a window, some graffiti, a wind farm. Beauty cleans the mind."

"Self-Help
How to stop time: kiss
How to travel in time: read
How to escape time: music
How to feel time: write
How to release time: breath"

Your mind is the most powerful thing you'll ever own and although it can sometimes feel like the most difficult thing in the world - you can have complete control over it. You have the choice, the chance, the ability to change whatever it is you're experiencing, you just need to remember that and stay focused. Different techniques work for different people so it can be trail and error. Something that has helped me massively is relating bad thoughts to a person - if a negative, depressive, cynical person were to knock at your door you wouldn't let them in to your home. You wouldn't want them around, you wouldn't want to listen to what they have to say and you wouldn't want to entertain them, so why would you let negative, depressive, cynical thoughts in to your mind? If they come knocking - stand your ground and keep the door closed. Don't entertain negativity.





No comments: