I cannot express how much anxiety new year gives me. I genuinely think it stems from the millennium where they thought that weird bug thing was going to destroy all the computers - I seriously thought the world was going to end (I was only 10 in my defence). Anyway, my new year anxiety now lies around the pressure of feeling like you have to have a good time rather than a bug that is going to destroy some computers. I get the same feeling with my birthday and Christmas Day and sometimes I feel like not doing anything at all to avoid that anxiety.
I don't make new years resolutions because I believe if you want to make a change that badly, you'll do it without that calendar prompting you. However, I do think it's important to reflect on the year you've had - whether it's putting it behind you or being grateful, never ignore what you've done to be who you are today (the good and the bad).
So on that note, I am grateful to every kind person in this world that reaches out to someone who needs a smile putting on their face. I'm grateful to be in a job where I want to do my best. I'm grateful for my health. And I'm grateful for the endless love from my family and friends. Happy New Year xxxxxxxx
2 comments:
I was with your sister on New Years and having talked about you that night, I thought I’d look up your Instagram and came across your blog.
Having been a fellow anxiety sufferer, I found it amazing that when I braved reaching out to people to tell them I had anxiety, they would nearly always say ‘I’ve had it too’, and the more I reached out to people, the closer I felt to others in knowing that I wasn’t alone.
I can really relate to the feeling of not wanting to do something to avoid the onset of anxiety. I often found it far easier to take that option to benefit the short term relief it gave. I learnt some good techniques to do with this through a service called IAPT. Check them out if you want to, as you may find it useful :)
Though I think anyone who has experienced anxiety never completely gets rid of it, mine seems to have subsided for now (so maybe there’s hope for everyone that’s felt this way at some point).
Anyway, well done for being brave enough to write about it on the internet! If you ever want someone to chat to about it, give me a shout.
All the best and Happy New Year (millennium bug free lol)
Alex
Post a Comment